The Incubator is a not-for-profit project by Hands On Art that provides senior students and young artists the chance to gain experience in exhibiting their artwork in a public art space.
Students from Brisbane and the Moreton Bay Region are invited to submit their work for display in our annual exhibition which celebrates the talented young creatives in our community. Prizes are awarded to those artists whose work shows skill, creativity and conceptual depth.
This year due to the Covid-19 outbreak we have decided to host the exhibition online. Works accepted for submission this year are any medium including sculpture, photography and video. Online work or digital work is fine as long as it can be viewed online.
The main prize like last year is a residency at Hands On Art in their artists’ studio when it is once again reopen and able to be used by the public. The selected artist will have access to studio and exhibition space and will be able to work alongside and be mentored by experienced Hands On Art artists. This is a great opportunity for a young artist wishing to gain experience in the art industry. The winning artist will also get the chance to exhibit what they make during their residency in the Hands On Art gallery space.
As well as giving artists a stage to showcase their work, The Incubator also provides professional development opportunities in the form of a workshop run by an experienced artist.
The exhibition will be online for a month and visitors will have the opportunity to vote for their favourite artwork. This artist will receive the People’ Choice Award.
- Exhibition Dates: 10th August – 10th September
- Prize winners announced: 5th September
- Venue: Online
Deadlines and Terms and Conditions
- Entries to the Incubator are due by the 28th July 2020. All artworks submitted to the Incubator must be completed at time of submission.
- Students must be in either Year 11,12 or their 1styear of university or college.
- Students are allowed to submit one artwork each however, triptychs and diptychs will be accepted as one artwork.
- This year only all mediums are accepted including sculpture, photography and video. Online work or digital work is fine as long as it can be viewed online.
- Artwork can be from a student’s schoolwork or project or an artwork they have made outside of school.
- Prizes will be judged and awarded by professional artists. There will also be a people’s vote for their favourite artwork which will be announced at the end of the exhibition.
- Participation this year is free.
- Each artist must have a separate application form which can be found by clicking the link. Please complete the application form and then send an image of your artwork to email@example.com
- Images must be high resolution (300ppi) and should be of the whole artwork. Try to have your image just of the artwork with nothing else in the background. For sculptures or 3D work where this is not possible please try to take a picture of the work with a plain coloured background, preferably white.
- Make sure emails reference the Incubator and your name in the subject line.
For video work please email a link to view the video.